I’m chuffed to say that I built my first pieces of furniture today. I arrived at the farm mid-morning and Eric was nowhere to be seen – I’d arranged to have a chat with him about what needed doing in what order, as I’d been feeling a bit chicken-and-egg about most of the jobs on my list. Can I build the kitchen until the water pipes and gas were in? Was there any point in doing anything until the wiring was done?
I sat on the sofa and stared into space for a few minutes, wondering what on earth to do. Then I realised no-one was going to do this for me. I got to work measuring and cutting plywood and pretty soon had a new bulk-head in place, to which the boiler could be fitted.
It was a gorgeous day and the farm was quiet. Dozens of swallows flitted about overhead as I worked, which was great because I’d just last week decided that my boat’s name would be just that: Swallow.
My mooring came with a nice long deck where I could work, and from the brambles and weeds at the back I managed to drag a rusty old workbench. Whoever this once belonged to: Thank you for not clearing away your old junk!
The next things I needed were the cooker and sink units – even if they weren’t to be fit in place yet, I could still construct them. I used two packs of 4×4 timber and some bits of ply to build them and put the units together inside the boat.
I’ve trashed my poor little fingers in the process (kept sawing them…) and I still need to find some nice wooden worktops, but it’s nice to see things starting to take shape :)