Starting the carpentry

There was no way to safely get in and out of the boat, as the doorway came straight in onto the open engine box. When I bought her, there were cupboard doors sitting over part of it, so you stepped down onto that and clambered down into the boat on a plank covering the open inside hull. Dad and I set to work making a sturdy cover for the engine box (which would need to be removable for engine access) and steps to come down the side – steps would have removable tops so they would double up as storage for muddy boots, too. I also needed to clean the rust from the internal hull walls before we could build the steps.

We used offcuts from Dad’s workshop to build the cover and steps and I’m pretty pleased with the result: